Sunday, January 31, 2010

First race of the season--kinda sorta....


Today was the Frostbite Marathon Team Relay! Lots of fun. COLD.COLD.COLD!!

I was the first leg of 5 people. I went out strong and finished not so strong! It's cool though. It was not a timed event. I don't even know what my time was. I think the number one reason I fizzled out fast was lack of fuel. I ate breakfast at 5:20 AM and the race was at 8. I ran out of carbs etc. I took a swig of a sports drink a few seconds before the race estarted, but obviously I needed more. Such a dumb mistake. I know my body and I know that I needed something else in me to fuel the tank! I ran over 5 miles. That's all I know for sure. I think I did the 5+ miles in about 42 minutes or so?!?? I have no idea and don't really care! It was meant to be a FUN event and FUN it was. The name of my team was-
What? Are you kidding me?
I thought that was funny. Many of the other teams came dressed up and with fancy batons to pass. There was a penis (yep, they actually got the cops called them by an upset citizen that saw it as they ran through town.) a rubber chicken, a miniature piano leg, and other fun stuff! We had a G.I. Joe doll and a Baribe doll kind of stuck together. Not sure what that meant, but it got a few laughs!
Since my portion of the race was at 8AM it was still rather chilly with a windchill of course. And naturally we were close to a lake so that made things a big more cold and windy! My face was so cold that when I tried to drink the warm( thank God) Gatorade it literally dribbled down my chin because I could not feel my lips. Yup. Super cute.

My team was very fun and we got to know each other a lot better since we were stuck in a mini van for the duration of the race. Things got quite silly up in there!

After the race we went to the pub that sponsored it and had our free chili and beer and treats. It was quite a gathering. Even though this was a FUN race and sooo not competitive, it really got me thinking I am ready to pick up my game this year. I think I am ready to do it. I just wish it was a tad lot warmer out already!!
Can't wait til next year!

No comments: