Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday fun fun fun!

Tuesday!
I made it to the gym for weights this morning. A little later than normal, but I am happy my kids got up!
New circuit today. We did a 3x12:

Squat and press
Mountain climbers
Leg Curl
1 minute core

circuit 2
Lat pull down
Plank to press
Leg Extension
1 minute core

Later on was my speed workout.
2 mile warm up
1 mile at 7:44
1 minute rest
1 mile at 7:35
1 minute rest
1 mile at 7:35
1 minute rest
1 mile at 7:35
2 mile cool down

Good times! Ugh! My goal pace was 7:35 and I did just that. We were told to take the first one out slower. I felt really good. Told ya I was going to rock it tonight!
With that being said I want to add what coach wrote on a blog to explain why we did what we did tonight:

With tonight being our first tempo type workout of the year I'd like to give everyone the why and not just the how of this type of workout. First tempo training falls into two varieties (steady, prolonged runs, also called tempo runs, and intermittent runs, also called cruise intervals -- which is what we will be doing tonight.) both of which are run at the same relative intensity. Tempo training is great for improving endurance. Subjectively, tempo intensity is "comfortably hard" , or 20-30 seconds per mile slower than your 5k race pace. Objectively, tempo training is in the area of 83-88% of your Max VO2 or about 88-92% of your maximum heart rate. I know at this point in the training cycle it's hard to figure out exactly where we fit into the intensity charts, but let's try to remember "comfortably hard". I will bring some pace charts tonight or by going to http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm you will be able to determine proper pace. See everyone tonight!!!!

My coach is the best. He is out there on the roads/track/races right with us. He is super FAST too. He ran last years Boston Marathon in a 2:57! Holy FAST!
Today was a great day.

No comments: