Monday, May 4, 2009

Saturday Long Run

Today was the last long run before the race! A whopping 8 miler!! It felt so good to be done with the run which took about an hour or so. So different from the 2 hours I have been used to running for the past few months. The weather was great. Nice and cool; but not too cool. My hands were cold, but not frozen! Right now we are just hoping that the rain holds off as there are some flooded areas of the course that need to dry up....if they don't then the race course will have to be changed! The final decision will be made today.
So everything I have been working for will be here in a matter of days. I told myself I won't beat myself up if I don't reach my goal ( to run the 25k in under 2 hours if you have not been paying attention!). I might be a tad disappointed, but hey I never get too mad about anything. I do plan on having a celebratory beer in the beer tent afterwards!! A lot of races I have done have the beer tent available with a free beer for all the runners. It just never sounded good to me! But I will see what all the fuss is about this year and have my free beer! It will also be the kick-off drink to my birthday celebration. A week early, but I will have family in town so that should be fun.
Sunday~ OFF!

FIT TIPS:
Fueling your body If you want to keep your energy up, now is NOT the time to cut back on feeding your body those delicious carbohydrates. Be sure to stay within the guidelines of at least 45-65% of total calories consumed in a form of carbohydrates.
Hydrate the night before the race: drink 4-6 ounces of water each hour.
Race Morning: drink 4-6 ounces of water after you wake up
Before the race: drink 4-6 ounces of water a half hour before the race. During the race: depending on your speed, usually drink every 15 to 20 minutes. Also include sports drinks that contain some type of sodium concentration and electrolytes to help prevent hypernatremic or hyponatremic. After the race: drink 6-8 ounces of water or sports drink. Continue to drink about 6 ounces of water each hour for 4 hours. Day after the race: continue to drink 4-6 ounces of liquids each hour.
Enjoy the race You’ve just spent months planning and training for the race, and today is the day. For first-time marathoners or half-marathoners, your goal should be to complete the race and not to finish by a certain time. Just enjoy the race by waving to all the spectators, having fun with the different bands, and enjoying your first-time experience. For more experienced runners trying for a Personal Record: If you find yourself running a slower time then don’t fret. Your body is trying to tell you something (maybe you over trained). If you keep trying to push yourself, you may cause injury to your body and not finish the race. So if you’re off your time, accept it, and decide to just enjoy a slower race.

No comments: