Friday, January 30, 2009

Thursday -speed session

I was ready for Thursdays speed training. I had not done any form of exercise all day so 6:30pm could not come quick enough! I thought we might do some speed training or just an easy 4 miles. Nope. We did the hills AGAIN! I guess I was a bit more prepared this week because we did the same workout last Thursday.
We did 8 hills this time. I think I could have done more. Woohoo! Mary and I talked to the coach about running form up and down the hills and he gave us some good tips. It's not so much about speed then it is form, so that was good to know. All the rules change when you are running in snowy and icy conditions though so I can't wait for winter to be over and out!
Including warm up and cool down we almost ran 5 miles.
More about hills.......
FIT TIP:
While there are a number of different types of hill training, here are three of the most common types of hill workouts~
Speed and Power Hills - short, fast runs up steep hills with ample recovery between reps to promote explosive speed
Downhill Sprinting or Strides - short, very fast runs down a gently sloping hill to promote quick leg turnover
Stamina Hills - longer, "crisp" paced runs over moderately steep hills to promote endurance and strength

No comments: