Sunday, March 22, 2009

Race Day!

It was a good idea to take Friday off completely from any planned physical activity. My legs were still tired on Friday morning.

That brings us to Saturday morning. The official first full day of Spring. I woke up at 6:30am to be greeted by snow flurries! Great. I had to rethink my race wear attire as I needed at least one more layer than I previously thought!
The race went well for me. It started at 9:30am; 30 minutes later than the guys race. There were over 3000 participants today.
We actually warmed up for 3 miles-haha....just as long as the race! This was new for me, but I know it was a good idea.
The start of the race was still very congested even though the genders were separated. I think I found my rhythm after the first mile. I really had no strategy in mind since it has been so long since I ran in a 5k race. I secretly wanted to beat my last 5k time of 21:42, but would really have been happy with getting a 22:42 or better. I was quite pleased yet disappointed yet shocked to find out that I had a finishing time of 21:46! Close, but no cigar! I am really glad I did this race since some of our speed sessions are based on our 5k race time. Now I will have something to go off of instead of just guessing.
I forgot to mention that I placed 7th in my age group and the 49th overall woman out of 1644 to finish and the 378th out of 3306 to finish!!! Woohoo!

FIT TIP:
Don't forget to stretch after a race. Try not to sit in a car for a long time after a race either.

No comments: