Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mission Possible Interview with Krys

1.How many children do you have?
Two boys. Logan, 4, and Jordan, 5 1/2 months.

2. How long have you lead an active lifestyle?
Ive always been pretty active. I played outside every day as a child, was interested in roller skating and gymnastics in elementary school, cheer leading in middle school; roller blading, weight lifting and cheer leading in high school, roller blading and aerobics classes in college, and running, backpacking, weight lifting and chasing children since then.

3 .What is your favorite type of exercise?
My absolute favorite is backpacking, because although it's tough to carry a big heavy pack over challenging terrain, it doesn't really feel like work and you get to see beautiful, wild places. Plus, it's quality time with my family.
4. What have you taught your children about exercise?
My husband Chris and I make it clear to our sons that exercise is an important part of being healthy and vital. Sometimes our oldest doesn't really understand why Mommy is leaving the house at 8 p.m. to go to the gym and he'll beg me to stay, but I tell him Mommy needs to exercise to live a healthy, happy life. When I was pregnant with Jordan, Logan and I went to watch Chris run a race, and Logan was inspired after that to join a local kids' race. He got hooked and did it again this year. We are teaching our kids that exercise is not only necessary, it's fun.

5. How do you stay motivated to keep fit?
I definitely have days that I would much rather just stay home and watch some TV after dinner instead of heading out to the gym, but I know that I will feel much better if I go--both physically and emotionally. Somehow a good session at the gym erases the stresses of the day and makes me feel happier and stronger.

6. Do you have a blog? What do you blog about?
I don't have one yet, but I'm working on learning how to blog. I hope to get one up and running as soon as I possibly can. I have a lot to say! I plan to write about my daily life, in general, while focusing on small steps we, as moms, can take to improve the quality of our days, our relationships, our parenting skills and our impact on the planet.

7. One tip or piece of advice you can offer other moms to get their kids moving?
Make it fun. Keep in mind that kids don't exercise like adults do. For them, it's not a "have to" it's a "get to." Kids don't force themselves to pump iron or run on a treadmill. They run, laugh, climb trees, ride bikes, dig in the dirt, etc. With that in mind, just do it! Take your kids outside. Go for a walk, race them to the swing set, visit the local pool for open swim, take a family karate class, whatever. Exercise doesn't have to be--and shouldn't be--torture for anyone. If you aren't enjoying it, do something else, as long as you're in motion.

Thanks Krys! Looking forward to reading your blog!

No comments: