Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

Monday~ Today I taught 2 classes and then went for an easy 4 mile run and was able to lift weights afterwards. I have not been consistent with weights lately so this was good.
Tuesday~ Today I taught 1 class. That's all I did today. Trying to be smart about my training since the race is in a few days. We just found out that the race course got re routed due to flooding. This is not good news. The new route is on a lovely hilly road!! I had anxiety as soon as I found out. I am tyring to get over it though since it can't be changed. We trained on this hilly road and it was HARD. I will still keep my goal of finishing in under 2 hours though. I won't let the new course be an excuse!
Wednesday~ I made it to the gym for 40 minutes of cardio ( recumbent bike and elliptical intervals) and some weight lifting. Lots of push ups today! I am taking it easy on my lower body as well.

FIT TIP:
How to control anxiety
The five breath technique
This anxiety control exercise can be performed while you are standing up, lying down or sitting upright. It is ideally used just before competition, or whenever you feel particularly tense. You should inhale slowly, deeply and evenly through your nose, and exhale gently through your mouth as though flickering, but not extinguishing, the flame of a candle:
Take a deep breath and allow your face and neck to relax as you breathe out
Take a second deep breath and allow your shoulders and arms to relax as you breathe out
Take a third deep breath and allow your chest, stomach and back to relax as you breathe out
Take a fourth deep breath and allow your legs and feet to relax as you breathe out
Take a fifth deep breath and allow your whole body to relax as you breathe out
Continue to breathe deeply for as long as you need to, and each time you breathe out say the word 'relax' in your mind's ear .

No comments: